Benefits You May Not Know About

Academic Job Listserv

Some departments choose to include their job postings on this listserv that is emailed directly to you once you sign up.

To subscribe, email, type Subscribe ACJOB-L in the subject line, and leave the body of the message blank.

AP Development Fund

The Academic Professional Development Fund (APDF) provides a source of funds for academic professional staff members (permanent/non-visiting) with at least 50% appointments, to take advantage of professional development opportunities. The Office of the Provost provides up to $50,000 per year in APDF awards.

Child Care Resource Center

The Child Care Resource Center provides numerous services to parents such as guidelines and resource materials for selecting quality child care, current and detailed information on child care options, and back-up daycare solutions.

Child of Employee Tuition Waiver

An employee’s child who attends the University of Illinois or an eligible Illinois Senior Public University may be eligible for the Child of Employee 50 Percent Tuition Waiver.

Go to, then go to the "My Education" box and click on "Tuition Waivers," then select either "Attending University of Illinois" or "Attending Other Illinois Senior Public University."

Civil Service Job Postings Listserv

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Civil Service Jobs Listserv provides a way for you to learn about posted Civil Service employment opportunities.

By subscribing to the Civil Service Jobs Listserv, you will receive notifications when Civil Service postings are added/updated. All subscriptions to this listserv are confidential, and your name will not appear in the email heading.

Click here to subscribe or unsubscribe from this listserv. All you need to enter is your name and email address at this website.

Other resources for viewing employment opportunities will remain available as well, including the Civil Service Job Postings Web page and Civil Service Activity View in your electronic application in Jobs at Illinois.

Employee Tuition Waiver

Academic Professional, Faculty, Civil Service employees, and retirees may be eligible for an employee tuition waiver from any of the three University of Illinois campuses (UIC, UIS, or Urbana-Champaign). In addition to attending one of the University of Illinois campuses, active Civil Service employees can attend other State Universities Civil Service Institutions. Click here for more information about Tuition Waivers:


The i-card is an employee’s official university identification card. The faculty/staff i-card gives an employee access to the library and free rides on the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (CU-MTD). An employee’s appointment must be entered into Banner before a faculty/staff i-card will be issued. Employees will need to stay in contact with their departmental HR representative to know when their appointment is in Banner and when they can request an i-card. Information about i-cards and getting an i-card can be found at the i-card website.


To find a selection, enter your search terms in the "Easy Search" box, search and find your item, select "Request," then chose ‘Campus Mail’ and the book will be delivered to your office. Your Library Borrower ID is on your i-card, next to Library #. You will have to take the book to a library drop-off when the book is to be returned.


The Mass Transit District serves the campus and the communities of Champaign, Urbana, and portions of Savoy. With your i-card, you can ride the bus for free. Routes and schedules can be found on their website.


Information relating to parking permits can be found at Facilities & Services’ Parking Department. Their website is and their offices are located at 1201 W. University Avenue, Urbana. Employee rates are based off of their annual salary. Therefore, Parking will not issue a permit until an employee’s appointment is in Banner. Employees will need to stay in contact with their departmental HR representative to know when their appointment is in Banner and when they can request a permit.

Shared Benefits

Donate a vacation or sick day to a pool, then the pool can be used by anyone that has donated, if they run out of vacation or sick time when a disability claim is pending before the State Universities Retirement System (SURS) or when experiencing a catastrophic injury or illness, depending on the type of employee.

Academic employees can contact with questions about shared benefits.